S.T.E.A.M: A Focus on Education & Awareness
A National Day of Service with the Urban League Hampton Roads Young Professionals (ULHRYP)
Saturday, April 24th | 1:00pm - 3:00pm
The Urban League Hampton Roads Young Professionals (ULHRYP) will participate in the Annual National Day of Service (NDOS), which will focus on education and mentoring with an emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (S.T.E.A.M) disciplines. The program is a one-day service commitment on April 24th partnering with local organizations dedicated toward youth mentorship and development.
NDOS is the National Urban League Young Professionals’ (“NULYP”) signature community service initiative bringing
together NULYP chapters nationwide for a momentous day of unified community impact around a singular theme. NDOS is a simultaneous service day in over 60 chapters across the country. NULYP members will volunteer to conduct a virtual STEAM conference with an emphasis on education through engaging and informative demonstrations and activities from a variety of STEAM experts. ULHRYP will continue to expose youth to STEAM fields and encourage their future pursuit of STEAM careers.
- Expose youth to creative and interactive demonstrations focused on STEAM
- Increase awareness on the impact of how STEAM can close the gap in graduation rates and earning powering of black and brown
- Bridge the gap in areas of study for science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (S.T.E.A.M.)
- Impact high school graduation rates for students within 2-5 years through structured mentoring
- Education about the role that science, technology, engineering, arts, and math play in economic development
Who Should Attend
- Rising Middle School Students
- Middle School Students
- Young Professionals
- High School Students
- Undecided College Students
Social Media Hastags
Use #nulypSTEAMday, #nulypdoesSTEAM, #nulypdoesSTEAM, #ypempowered, for posts and tweets during NDOSevents, activities, PSAs, etc., and encourage fellow participants to do the same.
Featured Guest Speaker – Dr. Rashanique Quarels
Dr. Rashanique Quarels is an Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ. She is a graduate of Southern University and A&M College (BS) and Louisiana State University (PhD). Dr. Quarels’ research interests focus on the development of new antibiotics and analgesics. Dr. Quarels will share how STEAM can close the gap in graduation rates and earning power of black and brown people.
NDoS Schedule of Events
|1:00pm||Featured Guest Speaker - Dr. Rashanique Quarels|
Breakout Session #1
Breakout Session #2
|2:45pm||Discussion & Wrap-Up|